- Main Course
- Sweet Treats
Simple Tempering for Curries, Bhaajis, Dal etc (Phodni)
- 2 tsp oil,
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder,(optional - if required in the recipe)
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida,(optional - if required in the recipe)
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai. Keep the heat on medium to low.
- Once the oil is heated, add mustard seeds.
- Mustard seeds pop up if the oil is heated enough. Then add asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Tempering is ready. Add rest of the ingredients required for the recipe now. Alternatively pour this hot tempering over plain dals just before serving.
Tips and Variations:
1) Next to turmeric, add 2 crushed garlic cloves to the oil.
2) Add 1-2 dried red chilies.