- Main Course
- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
Shankarpale (Sweet) in Oven (Baked Shankarpale)
yields approx. 1 lb (400gm) shankarpale
- 1/2 cup milk,
- 1/2 cup clarified butter(melted ghee),
- 3/4 cup sugar, (adjust according to your sweet tooth and the sweetness of sugar)
- a pinch of salt,(optional),
- approx 2 cups total (1.5 cup all purpose flour + 1/2 cup semolina)
- In a saucepan, combine milk, ghee, sugar and salt. Turn on the heat and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and let the mixture become slightly warm.
- Then add flour and semolina alternately stirring with spoon. The mixture gathers into a soft pliable dough. If the dough appears loose, add more flour.
- Knead the dough and divide into 2 inch diameter balls. Meanwhile preheat oven to 375° F.
- Place one ball onto a rolling board and with a rolling pin, roll into a 1/2 cm thick disc.
- With a ravioli cutter or a pizza cutter or just a knife, cut the disc into 2x2 cm squares or diamonds as per you choice.
- Arrange pieces on the baking sheet. Bake until light golden from both the sides. You may want to flip them over once for even baking. Avoid over baking or they become hard and turn dark at the edges.
- Remove and let cool completely before you store them in an airtight container.
1) You may substitute wheat flour for the all purpose flour or use half of each.
2) Baked Shankarpale are a good substitute to fried ones although they taste more like cookies or shortbreads.
Click here for fried version of this recipe.