- Main Course
- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
yields approx. 25
- 2 cups coarse gram flour (also known as besan for laddus which is coarse),
- 1 1/2 cups ground sugar (increase the amount if the sugar is less sweet),
- 3/4 cup melted ghee (clarified butter).
- 2 tbsp milk,
- cardamom powder,
- raisins, almonds, pistachios - any nuts of your choice
- Roast gram flour in ghee over medium heat until aroma comes and it turns light red.
Microwave Method: Mix together gram flour and ghee in a microwave deep dish. Put it in the microwave. Keep an eye on it and stir frequently to keep the mixture from burning. When the mixture turns light brown (approx. 10 minutes), remove. Microwave method is faster than the regular one.
- The mixture is lumpy at this stage. Sprinkle milk over the roasted mixture.It sizzles and looks thick and foamy. Turn the heat off and stir the mixture.
- Add sugar once the mixture is warm. Mix and knead it well with hands. Add cardamom powder and nuts.
- Divide mixture into equal parts and form balls of uniform size.
Store besan laddus in an airproof container.
Tips: If the mixture appears dry and you have difficulty rolling the laddus, use some more ghee.
You can make moong flour laddus or udid flour laddus using the same method.