- Main Course
- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
Cashew Barfi (Kaju Katli)
yields approx. 30
- 1 1/2 cups packed cashewnuts powder (Dry grind cashewnuts into fine powder),
- 1 cup sugar,
- 1/4 cup water
- cardamom powder,
- saffron strands dissolved in a 2 tsp warm milk(optional),
- silver foil (Varkha - used to decorate the sweets- this is optional),
- Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and let boil over medium heat until it forms into a two string consistency syrup. (When the syrup starts to bubble and becomes sticky, it achieves a one string consistency. Let it boil further for 2 minutes.)
- Now add ground cashewnuts and cardamom powder. Keep the heat on medium.
- Stir the mixture vigorously to avoid lump formation. Add saffron dissolved in milk.
- Lightly grease a tray or plate.
- The mixture leaves the edges of the pan and starts turning into a ball. Remove from the heat. Pour hot mixture into the greased plate. Spread quickly and evenly with a metal spatula. For decoration, unfold the silver foil and press on top of the mixture. Let cool and with a sharp knife cut into diamond shaped pieces.