- Main Course
- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
Rava-Besan Laddu (Semolina-chickpea flour laddus)
yields approx. 45 laddus
- 2 1/2 cups fine semolina,
- 1 cup coarse chickpea/gram flour (besan for laddus which is coarse),
- 3/4 cup fresh grated coconut,
- 1 cup melted ghee (clarified butter),
- 1 3/4 cup sugar,
- 3/4 cup water,
- 2 tbsp milk,
- cardamom powder,
- saffron crushed in warm milk
- raisins, almonds - any nuts of your choice.
- Pour half of the ghee into a thick bottomed preferrably nonstick saucepan. Roast gram flour in ghee over medium heat until it is light red and aroma spreads all over.
- Remove. In the same pan heat remaining half of the ghee. Add semolina and fry until it emanates aroma. Add coconut when semolina is 3/4 rth done; continue frying until the semolina is golden in color. Once done, sprinkle milk and turn the heat off. Remove the mixture and mix with the roasted flour.
- Combine sugar and water in another saucepan. Bring it to a boil. As soon as a syrup of one string consistency is achieved, immediately turn off the heat and pour the mixture
of semolina and flour into it. Mix well. The consistency of this mixture is thin at this point.
- The mixture becomes thicker in about 2 hours when you can mold it into laddus.
- Divide mixture into equal parts and turn into balls of 1 1/2 inch diameter. Enjoy fresh or store in an airtight container for 6-7 days.
1) Make sure that the sugar syrup has appropriate consistency before adding the mixture of flour and semolina to it.
2) If the syrup is not sticky enough, the mixture turns into loose granules which is difficult to shape into laddus. (later you can fix this problem by adding a little milk to the mixture.)
3) If the syrup turns out thicker than the required consistency, laddus become hard. However, if you notice this problem before adding the mixture to the syrup, you may add a little bit of hot water to dilute it.)
4) Sometimes ghee is used liberally in laddus which keeps laddus from holding their nice round shape and they tend to flatten after being rolled. In that case, spread the mixture into a plate. Gently pat a tissue paper over it to blot excess ghee.