- Main Course
- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
yields approx. 1 lb (400gm) shankarpale
- 1/2 cup milk,
- 1/2 cup clarified butter(melted ghee),
- 3/4 cup sugar, (adjust according to your sweet tooth and the sweetness of sugar)
- a pinch of salt,(optional),
- approx 2 cups total (1.5 cup all purpose flour + 1/2 cup semolina)
- refined oil/any other frying oil or ghee for deep frying.
- In a saucepan, combine milk, ghee, sugar and salt. Turn on the heat and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and let the mixture become slightly warm.
- Then add flour and semolina alternately stirring with spoon. The mixture gathers into a soft pliable dough. If the dough appears loose, add more flour.
- Knead the dough and divide into 2 inch diameter balls.
- Place one ball onto a rolling board and with a rolling pin, roll into a 1/2 cm thick disc.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a kadai. With a ravioli cutter or a pizza cutter or just a knife, cut the disc into 2x2 cm squares or diamonds as per you choice.
- Make sure that the heat is on lowest setting when you transfer the cut pieces into the oil. Fry until golden.
- Let cool completely and store them in an airtight container.
1) You may substitute wheat flour for the all purpose flour or use half of each.
Click here for baked version of this recipe.