|Maharashtrian aamati (dal)- type 1|
(for 2 to 4 people)
1/2 cup toor dal
1 medium sized onion,
3 green chilies,
2 teaspoon Maharashtrian goda masala or garam masala,
1 teaspoon turmeric powder,
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing),
1 teaspoon mustard seeds,
1 small piece jaggery or 1 teaspoon sugar
salt to taste
1. Pressure cook dal till soft. Remove from the cooker and mash it if you like.
2. Chop onions into vertical thin pieces. Chop tomato and chilies. Or give just vertical slits to the chilies instead of chopping them.
3. Heat 2 teaspoon oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds. As they pop up, add asafoetida, turmeric powder and onion pieces and chilies. At this stage add goda masala. Fry for sometime or till the onion turns light brown. Add chopped tomato pieces and fry again till tomato pieces turn soft. Add mashed dal and 1 cup water. Stir.
4. Cook on high heat and when bubbles rise on the top, turn the heat to medium. Add salt, jaggery. Stir well and simmer.
5. Remove Aamati from the heat and decorate with coriander leaves. Serve with plain rice, pulao, or chapatis.
Tip: For variation add chopped drumsticks or eggplants.
See another version of Aamati
Copyright © 2000-2003 Mumbai-Masala.com, All rights reserved.