|Colacassia leaves curry (Aluchi patal bhaaji)
Serves 4 people
12 leaves of colocassia washed in salt water and drained,
(take the stems also - called 'dethi' in Marathi),
1/4 cup peanuts,
3-4 green chilies,
1 tbsp gram flour (i.e besan - to thicken the curry),
1 tbsp coconut,
2 tsp cumin seeds,
chopped coriander leaves,
2 tsp Black Maharashtrian Masala,
2 teaspoon tamarind pulp,
jaggery for the desired sweetness.
For tempering (phodni)
1 tbsp oil,
2 tsp mustard seeds,
1/2 tsp Asafoetida
1. Chop the leaves and stems. Steam together. Drain the excess water and mash them.
2. In a pan put the mashed mixture. Add peanuts, cashewnuts, tamarind, jaggery, black masala, salt. Add some water if required. Bring to a boil.
3. Meanwhile roast coconut and cumin seeds. Grind them.
6. Make a paste of gram flour and add it to the boiling mixture. (Instead you can add peanut powder) Add the ground masala. Stir and simmer the bhaaji for 10-15 minutes.
7. Once cooked, temper the bhaaji and serve hot.
Heat some oil, add asafoetida & mustard seeds. Add chilies. Pour it over the hot curry.
Tip: Always temper the bhaaji just before serving.
Copyright © 2000-2003 Mumbai-Masala.com, All rights reserved.