- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
(for Marathi version click here
Red Pumpkin Curry (Laal Bhoplyachi Bakar Bhaaji)
- 1.5 lb (3/4 kg) red pumpkin,
- 1/4 cup dry shredded coconut,
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds,
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds,
- 2 tsp chironji,(charoli) (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves,(optional)
- 1 tsp black Maharashtrian masala,
- 2 tsp red chili powder,
- 1 tsp turmeric powder,
- 1/2 tsp tamarind pulp,
- 1 tsp mustard seeds,
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds, (methi)
- salt to taste,
- 1 tsp jaggery
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida,
- 3 tbsp oil,
- fresh grated coconut and coriander for garnishing,
- Scrape the hard skin of pumpkin, rinse and cut it into cubes.
- Dry roast sesame seeds until they start popping up or turn slight golden. Remove.
- Dry roast coconut, poppy seeds and chironjis together in the same kadai. When coconut becomes crisp and light brown, remove.
- Grind together coconut, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, chironjis and garlic cloves into a fine powder.
- Heat a kadai. Add oil. When oil is heated, add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. As mustard seeds sizzle, add asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Then add chopped pumpkin and stir well. Add 1 cup water. Cover and let cook until pumpkin is tender.
- Add ground masala powder, black Maharashtrian masala, tamarind, chili powder, salt, jaggery and mix well.
- After 2 minutes, turn the heat off. Garnish with cilantro/coriander leaves and fresh grated coconut.
- Serve hot with chapati/rice.