- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
Boiled Potato Bhaaji (Ukadalelya Batatyachi Bhaaji)
- 6-8 medium sized potatoes,
- 1 small piece ginger(optional) ,
- 4 green chilies,
- coriander leaves,
- 10-12 nos. curry leaves,
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds,
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder,
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida,
- 1 tablespoon fresh coconut,(optional)
- and sugar (if you like),
- 3 tbsp oil
- Wash potatoes and pressure cook or boil them until just tender but not mushy. Peel and chop them into small cubes. Rub some salt (and sugar if you desire) to the cubes.
- Chop chilies into fine pieces or if you are using ginger, make a paste of ginger and green chilies.
- Heat the oil in a kadai/wok. Add mustard seeds and as they crackle, add asafoetida and turmeric powder. Add curry leaves, chilies and then add diced potatoes and toss gently until all the potatoes are coated well with oil. Do not add water in this recipe.
- Cover for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and stir.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with chapati, puri, phulka or just dal-rice.
1) Along with ginger and chilies, add crushed garlic.
2) Substitue cumin seeds for the mustard (or you can use both) at the time of tempering.
3) Chop 1 medium onion into thin vertical pieces and add it just before the potatoes. let the onions become translucent, then add the potatoes. This variation tastes delicious.