- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
Bottle Gourd-Potato Curry In Coconut Milk
- 1 Bottle Gourd,
- 2 medium sized potatoes,
- 4 small or 1 big onion,
- 2 medium tomatoes,
- 1/2 cup thick coconut milk,
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic each crushed,
- 1 tsp Garam Masala ,
- 2 tsp chili powder,
- salt to taste,
- 1 tsp mustard and cumin seeds each,
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida,
- 2 tsp turmeric powder.
- 1 tbsp oil.
- Wash and peel the skins of bottle gourd and potatoes. Cut each into 1 inch cubes.
- Blanch and purée tomatoes.
- Chop onions finely.
- This curry has to be cooked in a pressure cooker. So you may cook it directly in the pressure cooker body or in a different vessel which is stovetop safe as well as can fit inside pressure cooker.
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker or in the vessel. Sizzle mustard and cumin. Add asafoetida and turmeric powder. Then sauté onions until they caramelize and light brown.
- Add tomato purée, crushed ginger and garlic, and continue to sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped vegetables and stir well. Do not add water as the bottle gourd releases water while cooking. Add garam masala, chili powder, salt and mix.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker or if you have used vessel for sautéing, transfer the vessel into the pressure cooker. Pressure cook until the vegetables are just tender.
- Remove lid once all the pressure is released. Lastly stir in coconut milk and use cilantro for garnish.