|Black Eyed Beans Curry (Chavlichi usal)|
(for 4 people)
1 1/2 cup kidney beans/black eyed beans (chavli),
1 tbsp shredded dry coconut,
2 tsp cumin seeds,
4 green chilies,
4-5 small garlic cloves,
2 tsp mustard seeds,
1/4 tsp asafoetida,
1 tsp turmeric powder,
1 tsp jaggery or sugar,
salt to taste,
1 tsp tamarind pulp or 2 kokum,
1 tbsp oil,
1. Wash and soak the beans in plenty of water for 7-8 hours. Rinse and boil the beans till soft.
Quick method: Instead of soaking the beans, roast the beans very lightly and rinse. Now boil them till soft.
2. In a skillet, lightly roast dry coconut and cumin seeds. Grind roasted coconut, cumin seeds and chilies into a fine paste. Chop coriander leaves.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add asafoetida, turmeric powder and garlic. Add onions pieces and fry till they look translucent.
4. Add boiled beans followed by some water for desired consistency. Once it reaches the boiling stage, add ground paste, tamarind, salt and jaggery. Mix well and cook further for 5 minutes. If required, add some more water.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rice or chapati.
Copyright © 2000-2003 Mumbai-Masala.com, All rights reserved.