|Dal with fenugreek leaves (Dal-methi)
serves 4 people.|
1/2 bunch of fenugreek leaves (methi),
1 cup toor dal,
2 tsp peanuts,
4 dry red chilies crushed into pieces,
5 small garlic cloves,
chopped coriander leaves,
2 tsp turmeric powder,
1/2 tsp asafoetida,
salt and sugar to taste.
1 tbsp oil.
1. Wash dal. Wash fenugreek leaves in salt water. Chop them finely. Mix together dal, leaves, 1 tsp oil, turmeric powder and 1 cup water. Boil them till soft.
2. Mash dal and fenugreek leaves. Keep aside.
3. Chop onion. Crush garlic cloves. Wash peanuts.
4. Heat a pan. Put 1 tbsp oil into it. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds crackle, add asafoetida, red chilies and garlic cloves. Add peanuts and fry. Add chopped onions and fry them till translucent.
5. Pour dal and fenugreek leaves mixture into the pan. Add water for desired thickness. Bring it to a boil.
6. Add salt, sugar and simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves while serving.
Serve hot with chapati or rice.
Tip: Vary the proportion of fenugreek leaves and dal as per the liking.