|Dal with fenugreek seeds (Dal-methi varan)
serves 4 people.|
1 cup toor dal,
1 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds,
2-3 small garlic cloves,
4 green chilies,
1/2 tsp tamarind paste or 2 nos.kokum (amsul),
2 tbsp dry/desiccated shredded coconut,
2 tsp cumin seeds,
chopped coriander leaves,
1 tsp turmeric powder,
1/2 tsp asafoetida,
salt and jaggary/sugar to taste.
1 tbsp oil.
1. Wash dal and fenugreek seeds. Add fenugreek seeds, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, asafoetida, 1/2 tsp oil and water to the dal. Pressure cook until soft.
2. Mash dal. Keep aside.
3. Heat a pan. Add coconut and toast it over medium heat until light brown. Then add cumin seeds and toss the mixture once. Remove and grind into a paste.
4. Chop chilies and crush the garlic cloves.
5. Heat oil in the pan. Once the oil is hot, let the mustard seeds sizzle. Add asafoetida, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and crushed garlic cloves and chilies. Fry and add dal and water for desired thickness. Bring it to a boil.
6. Once bubbles float on top, turn the heat to medium. Add ground coconut masala and tamarind paste or kokum and stir well. Add salt and jaggary or sugar. Let simmer for another 10 minutes.
7. Top with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or chapati.
Tip: Add red chilies instead of green chilies in the tempering.