|Bottle gourd curry (dudhi bhoplyachi bhaaji)|
1 medium sized bottle gourd,
1/4 cup fresh grated coconut
4 green chilies,
1 tsp fresh grated ginger,
1/4 cup peanuts,
1/2 tsp asafoetida,
1 tsp mustard seeds,
1 tsp cumin seeds,
2 tbsp oil
cilantro / coriander leaves.
1. Peel the bottle gourd and divide into two equal vertical halves. Scoop out inner seeds if any. Chop the remaining part into 1 inch dice. Wash, drain and set aside. Soak peanuts in water for 10 minutes.
2. Chop chilies and coriander leaves.
3. In a pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds in the heated oil. When they splutter, add cumin seeds and asafoetida.
4. Now add chilies, peanuts, ginger, coconut and a few coriander leaves. Fry for sometime over medium heat or till the peanuts turn golden brown.
5. Add the diced bottle gourd and cover pan with a lid. Let this cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.
6. Remove the lid and check if the bottle gourd has turned tender. Add salt, sugar and mix.
7. Turn off the heat. Top with remaining coriander leaves and serve with chapati.
Tip: This is a dry version of the curry. However, you may add a little bit of water if you prefer.
Do not throw away the bottle gourd skin, reserve it for chutney.
Copyright © 2000-2003 Mumbai-Masala.com, All rights reserved.