|Cauliflower-Potato curry (flower-batata rassa)|
serves 4-5 people
1 bunch cauliflower,
3 medium sized potatoes,
1 medium sized onion,
4 green chilies or chili powder ,
1 teaspoon turmeric powder,
a pinch of asafoetida,
1 teaspoon mustard seeds or cumin seeds,
1 tsp ginger and garlic paste each,
1 tsp garam masala or black maharashtrian masala,
salt to taste,
1 tbsp oil,
1. Break cauliflower into medium sized florets. Rinse in salt water. Set aside.
2. Chop onions and chilies finely. Chop potatoes into 1 inch cubes.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds or cumin seeds. As the seeds crackle, add asafoetida, turmeric powder. Add ginger and garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
4. Add chopped chilies and onions. Fry until onions turn golden.
5. Now add potatoes and cauliflower florets, 2 cups water and mix. Cover for 10 minutes or till they turn nice and tender. Add garam masala or black Maharashtrian masala, salt and mix gently taking care not to break the florets. Now to thicken the gravy, let it simmer for 5 minutes without the lid.
6. Lastly turn the heat off and top with coriander leaves. Serve with rice or indian bread.
Tip: Potatoes are optional. You can also add green peas and/or tomatoes. If you want dry version of this curry, do not add water as the vegetables release water while cooking. To make the curry more flavorful, add 1 teaspoon each of coriander and cumin powder or fresh ground masala.
Copyright © 2000-2003 Mumbai-Masala.com, All rights reserved.