- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
Gherkins Bhaaji(Tondlichya Kaachrya)
- 1/2 kg gherkins,
- 1 teaspoon chili powder,
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder,
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida,
- 2 teaspoon mustard seeds,
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon oil,
- Wash gherkins. Make thin round slices, rinse them in salt water and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok/kadai. Add mustard seeds. When they splutter add asafoetida and turmeric powder. Add sliced gherkins and keep mixing until the oil coats them completely. Cover and let them turn tender.
- Remove the lid and add salt, chili powder and mix properly. Keep tossing bhaaji for sometime until crisp.
- Once done, remove from the fire. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
1) Add 1 tsp coriander-cumin powder to enhance the flavor.
2) Add chopped potatoes and/or green peas alongwith the gherkins.
3) Instead of slicing the gherkins, cut them lengthwise into thin pieces. Follow rest of the method same as mentioned.