- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
Fried Balls in a curry (Gole Sambaar/Golyanchi amati)
For balls :(gole)
- 1 cup chana dal (split bengal gram),
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic-green chili paste (or substitute chili powder for green chilies),
- 2 tsp chili powder,
- 2 tsp each coriander and cumin powder ,
For curry :
- 1 small onion,
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic-green chili paste,
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp dry shredded coconut,
- 2 tsp poppy seeds,
- 2 tsp black Maharashtrian masala (Goda masala)
- 7-8 curry leaves,
- 1 tsp cumin powder,
- 2 tsp tamarind pulp
- jaggery to taste,
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
For tempering (to be taken separately on the curry at the time of serving):
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida.
- Rinse dal and soak in plenty of water for at least 5 hours or overnight.
- Drain water from the soaked dal and grind dal into a paste using very little water. Keep 1/4 cup of ground dal aside to thicken the curry.
- Combine dal and all the spices mentioned above for the balls and mix. Make small balls of 1/2 inch diameter.
- In a steamer or in a pressure cooker without the weights, steam the balls for 15 minutes or until done.
- Heat a griddle and shallow fry the balls until they turn little golden. (You may deep fry them if you like)
- Now for the curry, roast coconut and poppy seeds and powder them into a grinder.
- Chop onion into very fine pieces.
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and as they crackle, add asafoetida and turmeric powder. Add curry leaves, then onions and saute till transparent.
- Add 2 cups water. In goes black masala, ginger-garlic-chili paste, ground powder, salt, jaggery, and tamarind. Add 1/4 cup of leftover ground dal and let boil for 10 minutes. Adjust the amount of water if desired.
- Lastly add the fried balls and simmer for 3-4 miuntes. Garnish with cilantro/coriander leaves.
- Prepare the tempering as mentioned above. As the curry is served in individual plates, temper each with 1 tsp of the prepared tempering. Enjoy the hot curry with chapati/rice.
1) Make the balls of the dal mixture as mentioned. Slide them directly (instead of steaming and frying) into the simmering curry and let the curry boil for sometime or until the balls are well done.
2) Try susbstituting udid dal (split black gram) for 1/2 of the chana dal. Soak it together with chana dal and follow rest of the procedure as above.