|Kadhi - type 1
2 cups buttermilk, or 1 cup curd/yogurt|
1 tbsp gram flour,
7-8 curry leaves,
2 to 3 green chilies,
1 tsp crushed ginger,
2 tsp cumin seeds,
1 tsp turmeric powder,
1/4 tsp asafoetida,
lots of coriander leaves,
2 tsp clarified butter (ghee),
salt to taste.
1. If fresh curd/yogurt is used for the recipe, add 1 cup water and whisk it to get the buttermilk.
2. Add gram flour to the buttermilk and using a wire whisk, mix it. Remove the lumps.
3. Chop chilies and coriander leaves. Add salt, chopped chilies and ginger to the buttermilk.
4. Heat a pan. Heat 2 tsp ghee. Add cumin seeds. When they crackle, add asafoetida and turmeric powder. Add curry leaves. Pour the buttermilk into it. Add some water if required.
5. Keep stirring continuously to prevent the buttermilk from spoiling. Bring it to a boil. Then simmer for 5 minutes.
Top with coriander leaves and serve with rice
Tip: You may add small gram flour bhajis (fritters) to the kadhi for variation.
Recipe for gram flour bhaji (fritters):
1. Mix together, gram flour, salt, coriander-cumin powder, chili powder and turmeric powder.
2. Add some water to make a soft pliable dough.
3. Make small balls of 1 inch diameter. Deep fry the balls till golden brown.
4. Remove and serve as an appetizer or add them in the kadhi.
Variation: Add 2 crushed garlic cloves to the kadhi.