1/2 kg matki (moth beans - soaked overnight and sprouted),
1 medium sized onion (optional),
2 crushed garlic cloves (optional),
2 to 3 tsp black masala,
2 tsp red chili powder,
2 tsp grated jaggery or sugar,
coconut and chopped coriander leaves,
1 tsp mustard seeds,
1 tsp turmeric powder,
a pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
1. Chop onions into small pieces.
2. Heat some oil in a pan
3. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder and then onions and garlic.
4. After onion pieces turn transperent, add matki and mix well. Add 1 cup water.
5. Cover and cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes till it is half cooked.
6. Now add black masala, jaggery, chili powder and salt. Cook again for 5 minutes.
Garnish with coconut and coriander leaves
Tip: You can pressure cook or boil the beans in water before making the curry. Then, do not discard the water, but use it to make Kalan (soup).