|Whole Green Gram Usal (Moogachi usal)|
1 cup green gram, whole (Moong),
2 crushed garlic cloves (optional),
2 tsp grated jaggery,
1 tbsp fresh grated coconut,
2 tsp cumin seeds,
2 tsp black maharashtrian masala,
3 dry red chilies or green chilies,
1 tsp mustard seeds,
1 tsp turmeric powder,
1 tsp asafoetida,
chopped coriander leaves,
3 tsp oil,
salt to taste.
1. Put unwashed whole green gram in a pan. Fry for 5 minutes without oil.
2. Wash them and keep aside.
3. Roast cumin seeds and coconut together. Grind into a fine paste.
4. Heat 1 tsp oil. Add mustard seeds. When they crackle, add turmeric powder and garlic cloves. Add green gram and water. Cover and cook till soft.
5. Add ground coconut, black masala, salt, jaggery to the usal and mix. Simmer for few more minutes. Crush red chilies or if you are using green chilies, chop them finely. In a separate pan, heat 2 tsp oil. Add asafoetida and crushed red chilies and asafoetida. Pour it over the usal. Mix well.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
Tip: This is a quick method to make usal. The pulses are not required to sprout in this method. You can pressure cook or boil the beans in enough water before making usal. Use the water to make Kalan (soup).
Also, green gram can be replaced with black eyed beans for Chavlichi usal.