- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
Stuffed Gherkins (Bharli Tondli)
- 1/2 kg gherkins,
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida,
- 2 teaspoon mustard seeds,
- 3 tablespoon oil,
For the stuffing:
- 1 cup gram flour (besan),
- 1/4 cup bhajani (mixed flours)/rice flour,(optional)
- 1tbsp coriander powder,
- 1/2 tbsp cumin powder,
- 1 tsp turmeric powder,
- 2 tsp chili powder (adjust as per your liking),
- salt to taste,
- cilantro/coriander leaves.
- Wash gherkins. Pressure cook them until tender but not mushy. Remove from the cooker, wipe dry them with a paper towel or kitchen towel. Give vertical slit to each gherkin keeping both ends intact. Do not rinse them in water again.
- For the stuffing, combine gram flour, bhajani/rice flour, coriander-cumin powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, chopped coriander leaves and salt. Stuff the gherkins with the mixture. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and asafoetida. Add stuffed gherkins and toss gently so that the oil coats all the gherkins fully. Sprinkle remaining masala on top. Fry for sometime. Cover for 1 min. Keep stirring occassionally until the gherkins turn crisp and light brown.
- Once done, remove from the fire. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with chapati or dal and rice.
Tips and Variations:
Another method to make stuffed gherkins is like this:
Roast coconut, sesame seeds, coriander-cumin seeds together till light brown. Grind this mixture along with tamarind, jaggery, peanut powder, ginger-garlic paste, salt, chili powder and black masala.
Stuff raw gherkins with the ground mixture and cook till done.
Follow Stuffed Brinjals recipe for exact directions.