|Tomato saar: type 2|
4 medium sized ripe (red) tomatoes
coconut milk 1/2 cup,
3 tsp peanut powder,
2 garlic cloves,
1 small piece ginger,
3-4 green chilies (vary the amount as per the taste),
4-5 curry leaves (optional),
chopped coriander leaves,
1 tsp cumin seeds,
1/4 tsp asafoetida,
salt to taste
2-3 tsp ghee
2 tsp sugar or jaggery
1. Boil tomatoes till soft. (Microwave is useful for this)
2. Remove the shells and purée tomatoes in a grinder.
3. Grind together green chilies, garlic and ginger with a tsp of peanut powder.
4. Add coconut milk, peanut powder, chili paste, salt, sugar and water to the tomato purée. Let it boil over medium heat.
5. Now heat another small pan. Add 2-3 tsp ghee. When the ghee is heated, add cumin seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves.
6. When tomato purée starts boiling, pour the hot tempering over it. Stir well and simmer for 5 minutes.
Garnish with lots of coriander leaves.
Tip: Peanut powder is used to thicken the saar as well as for good flavor.
alternative method for the tomato saar.