- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
Hash Browns for Fasting
- 2 medium potatoes,
- 2 tbsp ground peanuts,
- 2 green chilies (optional)
- chopped cilantro,
- 2 tsp lemon juice,
- 1 tsp cumin seeds,
- salt to taste,
- clarified butter for shallow frying,
- Chop chilies and cilantro. Peel and grate potatoes. Rinse grated potatoes and pat dry well with a tissue paper.
- Combine grated potatoes, chilies, ground peanuts, salt, lemon juice and cilantro.
- Heat clarified butter in a shallow frying pan/skillet/tava. Add cumin seeds and let sizzle. Swirl the pan around to coat.
- Spread and pat the grated potatoes in the skillet with a spatula. Make sure they are even in thickness all over. Also they shouldn't be too thick. Keep pressing with a spatula to keep them from breaking while frying. Fry the bottom side until golden brown and flip over, repeat the same with the other side.
- Remove, once crisp from both the sides.
Tips and Variations:
1) Hash browns are a good substitute for breakfast on fasting.
2) Substitute cumin powder for cumin seeds. In that case, mix it along with the grated potatoes.