|Field Beans Curry (Dalimbi Usal/Valache Birde)|
(for 4 people)
1 1/2 cup field beans (dalimbi/kadwe val/surti val),
1 tbsp shredded dry coconut,
2 tsp cumin seeds,
4 green chilies,
6-7 curry leaves,
1 tbsp jaggery or sugar,
salt to taste,
2 tsp mustard seeds,
1/4 tsp asafoetida,
1 tsp turmeric powder,
1 cup fresh grated coconut,
1 tbsp oil,
1. Wash and soak the beans overnight in plenty of water. Next morning, drain all the water and rinse beans until the water runs clear. Tie the beans in a muslin cloth or place them in a strainer. Keep them in a warm place for 24 hours or till they sprout.
2. Now soak the sprouted beans in lukewarm water for an hour so that their skins can come out easily. The best method to remove their skins is to press each one between thumb and index finger and pull the skin off.
3. Once they are peeled, wash and keep them aside.
4. In a skillet, toast dry coconut and cumin seeds lightly. Grind toasted coconut, cumin seeds and chilied into a fine paste. Chop coriander leaves.
5. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add asafoetida, turmeric powder and curry leaves.
6. Add beans and fry them for 2-3 minutes. Cover for a minute. Remove the lid and add 2 cups water. Also add ground paste, salt and jaggery. Cover till the beans turn soft. Add half of the fresh coconut and simmer for sometime.
7. Remove and garnish with the rest of fresh coconut and coriander leaves.
Tips: Jaggery or sugar reduces the bitterness of lentils. However, you can increase or decrease the amount according to your taste.
Copyright © 2000-2003 Mumbai-Masala.com, All rights reserved.