|Mix vegetable pulao|
(for 4 people)
1 1/2 cup long grain (basmati) rice,
each of the above 1/4 cup,
cashewnuts whole or broken,
coriander leaves (cilantro),
1/4 cup ghee or oil,
some oil for deep frying,
whole garam masala
1 cinnamon stick,
3 green cardamoms, whole,
6 black peppercorns,
1. Wash rice and drain. Set aside for 1/2 an hour.
2. Chop cauliflower, potatoes, onion and carrots into vertical pieces.
3. Chop french beans into 1/2 inch pieces.
4. Deep fry cashewnuts till golden brown. Brown the chopped onions.
5. Heat ghee or oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add all the whole garam masala ingredients and let them pop.
6. Add all the vegetables except fried onions and fry for sometime. Cover till the vegetables are half cooked. Meanwhile boil 3 cups water in a separate saucepan.
7. Next add rice to the vegetables and fry for 2 minutes. Pour boiling water over the rice. Add salt, sugar and mix.
8. When half of the water is soaked in the rice, cover and cook further over low heat till rice is tender.
9. Add 1 tsp ghee and mix gently taking care not to break the grains. Garnish with fried cashewnuts, fried onions and coriander leaves.
Serve hot with any dal and raita.
Tips: The proportion of water in any rice depends on whether the rice is new-crop or aged. For new-crop rice, the amount of water should be 1.5 times in proportion to the rice. Or if it is aged rice, use double amount of water.
Copyright © 2000-2003 Mumbai-Masala.com, All rights reserved.