1 big bunch cilantro/coriander leaves (Kothimbir),
1 cup gram flour,
1 tablespoon rice flour,
1/4 cup bhajani (mixed flours such as rice flour, wheat flour, millet flour, barley flour and udad flour etc. however this is optional),
10 green chilies,
1 small piece ginger,
4 garlic cloves,
1 teaspoon roasted sesame seeds,
1 teaspoon roasted poppy seeds,
1 teaspoon lemon juice,
1 teaspoon turmeric powder,
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida,
1 teaspoon garam masala,
1/4 teaspoon Sodium Bicarbonate (Soda),
salt to taste,
Oil for frying,
1. Chop coriander leaves finely. Mix in gram flour, bhajani and rice flour.
2. Grind chilies, ginger and garlic into a fine paste. Add this paste, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, lemon juice, garam masala, turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt to the above mixture.
3. Add some water to make a thick batter (dosa batter consistency) and mix well. Remove the lumps.
4. Grease a flat vessel. Pour the batter into the vessel.
6. In a pressure cooker, steam (without using the weight) for about 25 minutes.
Or grease a microwavable container and pour the batter into it. Steam the batter for 5-7 minutes (Microwave settings may vary)
7. Remove and insert a needle or knife in the center of the batter to check if it is done. If it comes out clean, the batter is completely cooked. Let cool and cut into square shaped pieces.
8. Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Deep fry the pieces in hot oil. Remove when golden brown and crisp. Serve hot as an appetizer.
Tip: Bhajani enhances the flavor but is optional in this recipe.