- Main Course
- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
Scrumptious Pita Pocket Sandwiches (with cutlets)
- 2 medium potatoes,
- 1/4 cup each, finely chopped vegetables such as :
- green beans (french beans),
- 1/4 cup green peas,
- 1/2 cup sprouted moth beans (matki) (optional),
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic-green chili paste,
- 1 tsp garam masala powder,
- 1 tsp chat masala powder,
- 2 tbsp corn starch or rice flour for binding,
- bread crumbs,
- oil for shallow frying,
- 2 small onions,
- 2 tomatoes,
- 1/4 cup sour cream, (if not available, use a substitute recipe given at the end.)
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise,
- 2 crushed garlic cloves,
- 1 tsp hot chili sauce,(optional)
- 1/2 tsp Djon mustard (optional),
- salt and pepper powder.
- Combine chopped vegetables and peas and steam them until just tender. Drain and store the water as a vegetable stock.
- Boil potatoes and mash them. Add water to the sprouted beans and pressure cook them. Do not cook them until mushy. Drain water. (this water is very nutritious, it can be used to make Kalan.)
Grind the beans to a thick paste.
- Mix together potatoes, vegetables, ground beans, ginger-garlic-chili paste, garam masala, chat masala, salt. Add some corn starch or rice flour to keep cutlets from breaking in the oil.
- Shape the mixture into balls of 2 inch diameter. Rub some oil to your palms. Flatten each ball in the palms to form a oval shaped cutlet.
- Heat a griddle. Spread 2 tbsp of oil on it. Dredge each cutlet in the breadcrumbs. When oil is heated, arrange 2 to 3 cutlets on the griddle. Once crisp and golden on one side, flip them over and fry the other side. Remove them on a paper towel/tissue to drain off excess oil.
- Cut each pita bread into two semi circles. Gently open each along the cut edge and form a pocket.
- Combine sour cream, mayo, chili sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, and mustard. mix well.
- Cut onions and tomatoes into thin slices.
How to serve:
- Spread some sauce on the inside of the pocket.
- Place cutlet inside and add salad. Top with some more sauce. Serve immediately.
You may add grated paneer or tofu or soy granules in the cutlets for a different flavor.
Sour cream substitute recipe :
If sour cream is not available, hang yogurt in a muslin cloth for 1/2 hour. remove the thickened yogurt from the cloth, add some salt to taste and use it in the sauce instead of sour cream.