- Main Course
- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
(for Marathi version click here
yields 8-10 burgers.
- 2 medium potatoes,
- 1/4 cup crumbled paneer/soft tofu,
- 1/4 cup grated or finely chopped cabbage,
- 2 carrots grated,
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green beans,
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves,
- 1/4 cup green peas,
- 1/4 cup corns,
- 2 tsp crushed ginger,
- 2 tsp crushed garlic cloves,
- 4 green chilies ground,
- 1 tsp garam masala,
- 1 tsp kitchen king masala,
- 1/2 tsp chat masala,
- some chopped cilantro (coriander leaves),
- salt to taste,
- fresh breadcrumbs or rice flour for binding,
- breadcrumbs for coating the patties,
- Oil for shallow/deep frying,
- burger rolls,
- lettuce leaves/spinach leaves,
- sliced tomatoes and onions,
- cheese slices,
- butter/oil for brushing the rolls,
- To make the spread: mayonnaise and cajun seasoning (if not available use red chili powder).
- Boil potatoes and mash them.
- Grate carrots..
- Blanch spinach leaves. Drain well by pressing between your hands to extract excess water from them. Chop them finely.
- Microwave cabbage and green beans separately until soft. Alternatively pressure cook them until just tender, but not mushy.
- Boil green peas and corns (if using fresh).
- Combine potatoes, paneer or soft tofu, vegetables including the uncooked grated carrots.
- Meanwhile heat a skillet or a frying pan.
- Add all the masalas mentioned above in the mixture. Add breadcrumbs or rice flour just enough to hold the mixture together.
- Grease hands to avoid sticking and mix until everything incorporates well. Shape the mixture into equal sized patties.
- Dredge each patty into the breadcrumbs. Make sure that both the sides are coated well with the breadcrumbs.
- To shallow fry the patties, add oil to the skillet. Once heated, add the coated patties into the hot oil making sure not to overcrowd the skillet.
- Flip over each patty once the bottom side turns crisp and golden brown. Continue to fry the other side too until crisp. Remove and drain onto a paper towel.
- Brush the rolls on the inner sides lightly with oil or butter. Grill them in the oven or a on a grill or a griddle until golden and a little crunchy.
- To make the spread, add 1 tsp cajun seasoning to the mayonnaise and mix well.
- To serve, apply some spread on the cut sides of both the halves of the rolls.
Arrange 1 or two lettuce leaves, tomatoes and onions on the bottom half of the roll.
Place one patty on top, followed by a slice of cheese. Cover with the top half.
- Serve with tomato ketchup and a glass of juice or soda on the side.
Tips and Variations:
1) Add 1/4 cup boiled rice to the mixture to achieve crispness.
2) Try adding any boiled sprouted lentils such as moth beans or whole green gram to the mixture.
3) Alternate method to fry the patties: Make a paste of rice flour or all purpose flour. Dip each patty into the paste; coat properly with breadcrumbs. Deep fry until golden.