- Main Course
- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
Gul Poli (Sweet bread/chapati stuffed with Jaggery)
yields approx. 12 gulpolis.
For the cover
- 1 cup all purpose flour,
- 1/2 cup wheat flour,
- 1 tablespoon hot oil, heated,
- salt, a pinch.
For the stuffing:
- 1 1/2 cup jaggery (molassus),,
- 2 teaspoon white sesame seeds ,
- 1/4 cup gram flour,
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds,
- 1 tsp cardamom powder,
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder.
To make the stuffing:
- Roast sesame seeds until slight golden, remove. Roast poppy seeds. Grind them to make a fine powder. Take a teaspoon of oil in a pan and roast gram flour until the raw smell goes away.
- For the filling of gul poli, jaggery needs to be soft and pliable. To make it soft, grate and put it in a tightly closed container. Pressure cook and remove after 3 whistles. Jaggery turns soft. Let cool completely before mixing other ingredients into it.
- Mix jaggery, powdered sesame seeds and poppy seeds, gram flour, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder. Knead well. The filling is ready. You can use some milk for kneading to make it soft.
- Divide it into balls of 1 inch diameter. Cover and keep aside.
To make the cover:
- Combine the flours and salt. Add hot oil and mix. Make a well in the center. Add lukewarm water to make a dough stiffer than chapati dough.
- After an hour, knead the dough well and divide it into 1 1/2 inch balls. Cover with wet cloth
To roll Gulpolis:
- Roll out each ball a little bit. Put one portion of stuffing that you prepared in the center. Seal the outer ball gently. Roll out each ball gently using some oil and flour into round thin disk. Make sure the filling spreads till the edge. Trim the excess edge with knife.
- Heat a griddle/tava on medium. Once heated enough, roast gulpolis from both sides until cooked through. It is natural for the filling to pop out while roasting. But if it is excessive, to avoid waste, try putting less filling before rolling next time.
- Serve Gulpolis hot or cold with ghee.
1) If the filling turns out stiff, apply some milk and knead again, or simply give it a stir once in a blender.
2) Gul Polis turn hard after some time. However they can last several days if stored in an airtight container at room temperature.