- Main Course
- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
Panch Khaadya (A medley of dry fruits and sugar)
yields 1/2 cup
Panch Khaadya consists of following five items:
- 1/4 cup shredded dry coconut (or coconut pieces),
- 1 tsp poppy seeds,
- 3-4 chopped dried dates,
- 3-4 chopped fresh dates,
- 1 tbsp rock candy/sugar crystals (patri khadi sakhar).
- Toast coconut over low heat for 2-3 minutes so that its raw smell goes. Do Not let it change the color.
- Roast and grind poppy seeds. Or use morter and pestle to powder them. Crush coconut with hands.
- Combine coconut, poppy seeds and rest of the items listed above. You may change the proportion as per your liking.
Panch Khaadya is offered to Lord Ganesh and served as prasad on the festival of Ganesh Chaturthi.
1) Chopped almonds, cashews, pistachios, dried apricots, raisins, skinned halved peanuts are some interesting additions to Panch Khaadya.
2) You may enhance the taste with ground cardamoms.