- Main Course
- Culinary Tips
Tilgul (Sesame seeds balls)
Serving size - approx. 30 laddus.
- 500 gm white sesame seeds,
- 350 gm jaggery (chikkicha gul),
- 1/4 cup dry shredded coconut,
- 1/4 cup peanuts,
- cardamom powder,
- 1 tbsp clarified butter/ghee.
- Roast sesame seeds over medium heat. As they turn slight golden, remove from the heat. Roast shredded coconut until light brown. Roast peanuts.
- Rub the peanuts in your palms so the skins come off easily. Crush them into small pieces.
- In a clean heavy-bottomed, (preferrably) nonstick pan, heat jaggery over low to medium heat. Add 1 tbsp ghee into it. After a while, it starts bubbling and changes to light red. Pour sesame seeds, coconut, peanuts and cardamom powder immediately and mix well. This mixture is little sticky and thick.
- Rub some ghee onto your palms. Take some mixture in your palm while still hot. Roll into 1/2 inch diameter ball. Meanwhile if the mixture becomes cold, heat it again to make the rolling easier. Prepare all the ladoos and let them cool. They turn hard and crisp once cool.
Store them in an airtight container.
Tips and Variations:
1)Substitute chana dalia for peanuts or use both.
2)Do not heat jaggery over high heat to keep it from burning.